elderflower and orange blossom cordial
- 25-30 fresh elderflower heads (clusters)
- 150ml orange blossom honey
- 2 lemons cut into quarters
- 2 oranges cut into quarters
- 3 litres of cold water
- 1 clean, dry muslin or jelly bag for straining
- Sterilised bottles
- Remove the big stalks from your elderflower heads and give the flowers a good shake to dislodge any insects that might be lurking.
- In a large saucepan or bowl add your cold water and honey and stir to dissolve (no need to heat)
- Add your chopped up lemons and oranges and then your elderflower. Stir to mix ensuring all flowers are covered by the water.
- Cover with a lid or cloth and leave for 24 hours. Don’t be worried if the mix smells a bit odd at this point, once it’s infused overnight it will smell amazing!
- Remove the flowers and lemons with a spoon and strain your cordial through a muslin cloth or jelly bag.
- Taste – and add more honey if you need to or prefer it sweeter.
- Transfer to sterilised bottles and keep in the fridge!
Did you give this recipe a go? Let us know how you get on – you can find us facebook on twitter and instagram!