Citrus Summer Shortbread
- 200g unsalted butter (at room temperature), plus extra for greasing
- The zest of 1 large orange
- 3 tablespoons of hilltop honey, Spanish orange blossom honey
- 250g gluten-free/or plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
- With the extra butter, grease a baking tray.
- Finely grate the zest of an orange.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy, then add the citrus zest.
- Stir in the flour and the baking powder, egg yolks and bring together into a dough, use water if needed at this stage.
- Place on the prepared baking tray then roll into a large round, chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Cut your shortbread into the desired shape and place in the oven.
- Bake the shortbread for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove and leave to cool completely on the tray before decorating the shortbread as you wish.
- Here we’ve gone for light orange icing with long strands of orange zest…
- We even drizzled ours with extra hilltop honey, Spanish orange blossom honey on top before digging in!
Did you give this recipe a go? Let us know how you get on – you can find us facebook on twitter and instagram!